Sunday, August 5, 2012

A lesson in humility

We have been in the Netherlands for just about a week now.  And I could probably pass off as a Dutch midget if I didn't have to open my mouth.  In all fairness, not everyone in The Netherlands is massively tall, though I have encountered people in this country regularly that make Brett look short.  There is nothing like being completely illiterate (after a graduate's education) to make you feel humble.  I bought a box of pancakes the other day, not because I wanted pancakes, but because the box and directions were written in English.  It's amazing how comforting one's native language can be in a foreign country (there is no English translations under Dutch signs here).  I have learned more than how to ask "Do you speak English?" in Dutch. I've learned  how important it is to ask for help and how important it is to rely on other people.  With this last week, I am learning to get my "Dutch" on!

A few days ago, we bought bikes.  I LOVE Dutch bikes.  They are the Cadillac of all bikes...similar to Chair 3 on Vail Mountain - they are cushy! I can sit up tall on the bike and cruise my way to the market, the mall, to my school...to wherever!

We've also been to Amsterdam to ride the "all you can eat" pancake cruise boat.  Though we didn't travel the inner city canals, we enjoyed Dutch pancakes and an afternoon on a larger canal.





Our house is cute.  Though we are living in a high density area, it feels private.  We have a tiny yard, but...it's ours.  We have 3 floors, with the top floor acting as the playroom for the boys...and the guest room for our friends and family!

 Our backyard
 Living room and kitchen
View from our kitchen window


As I continue to eat my slice of "humble pie" I am learning that it's not going to swallow me up.  I am also learning that cars are more willing to stop for pedestrians than bikers...don't mess with the bikers!  Next week, as part of our work orientation, we are going on a walking tour of Amsterdam.  I am looking forward to learning more about our new home!

Cheers!
Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment